Low Fat Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip - Melanie
French Onion Soup - Dana
Thyme Chicken with Pumpkin Dumplings - Danielle
Scalloped Potatoes - Rosemary
Chai Latte Spelt Brownies - Jillian
40 minutes total (20 minutes prep)
Makes 40 servings (2 1/2 cups)
(12 ounce) package light silken tofu
2 tablespoons reduced fat mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 small onion, diced
1 (15 ounce) can artichoke quarters in water, drained, rinsed, and
1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (or 4-cheese blend)
1 teaspoon horseradish (optional)
2. Puree tofu, mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, garlic, onion and horseradish (if using) in blender or food processor until smooth. Transfer to bowl.
3. Stir artichokes, spinach, and cheese into tofu mixture.
4. Place into an 8-inch glass pie dish or casserole.
5. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve immediately with whole wheat pita bread or fresh vegetables.
Total fat: 0.9 g (saturated fat = 0.3 g; polyunsat. fat = 0.2 g; monounsat. fat = 0.2 g; trans fat = 0 g)
Mulled Cranberry-Guava Toddies
2 litres of President's Choice light cranberry juice cocktail
1/4 cup sliced, peeled fresh ginger
2 teaspoons whole cloves
16 (1/4 inch thick) slices orange (about 4 oranges)
1 litre guava juice
2 cups dark rum (optional)
1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil.
3. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Pour through a sieve and discard ginger and cloves. Reserve oranges if desired.
5. Stir in rum and serve while still warm.
1 Spanish or sweet onion (size depends on how much onion you like)
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
3 cups 2% milk
2 cups low fat grated cheese (of your choice)
Salt and pepper to taste.
1. Cut potatoes and onion into thin slices. Arrange in baking dish in layers.
2. Melt butter in saucepan. Add flour and stir for a couple of minutes, making a roux.
Slowly add milk. Stir constantly on medium heat until sauce is thickened.
Add grated cheese to sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir until cheese is melted.
3. Pour sauce over potatoes.
4. Bake covered in 350 degree oven for 1.5 hours or until potatoes start to brown.
1/4 cup skim milk
5 cardamom pods, crushed
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp chili powder
1 chai tea bag. opened
1 stick cinnamon
4 oz dark chocolate
1/4 cup butter
2 egg whites
1 1/2 cup spelt flour
6 packets stevia
1/2 cup cocoa
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Combine first 7 ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand 15 minutes. Strain milk and discard solids. Add chocolate and butter; microwave to melt. cool slightly, add eggs, stir with whisk.
3. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture, stirring until just combined. Spread evenly into a 9-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until centre is set.