August 30, 2007

Better Than Your Average Grocery Store



After returning from our glorious vacation I felt like my cooking was in a bit of a rut. I needed some inspiration. So decided to head out to some small grocery stores in the area to see what I could find.


I hit Royal Pita Baking Company which is a Middle Eastern Store that used to be owned by Windsor's current mayor. When I walked in I saw at least 8 different types of olives - I knew I was in the right place. I left with my bags filled with fresh flatbread, glaceed fruit, haloumi cheese, rosewater and pomegranate molasses.


Mexico Lindo is a favourite of my husband and I. We love walking in to the smell of freshly cooked tamales and other dishes that are created each day. From there I was able to snag corn tortillas, hot sauce, dulce de leche, chorizo sausage and tomatillos.


So far I have made tomatillo salsa, grilled haloumi on poached eggs with arugala from my garden, and a pizza with the flatbread for the crust.


I am so thankful for the diversity in this city!

No comments: